Add spice to your future
Embrace your love of food and cook up your future with the Culinary Careers program. Our compressed 16-month diploma will ready you for an exciting career creating cuisine’s best tummy teasers and pleasers. You’ll learn all there is to know about this tantalizing industry, from restaurant production to dining room cuisine while gaining the opportunity to prepare meals for real customers, create menus, work in teams and explore your creativity. During our paid industry placement, you’ll have the chance to wow employers with your skills while earning some dough. It’s a pretty sweet deal.
Culinary Careers is right for you if you:
- possess a keen sense of taste and smell
- have excellent hand-eye co-ordination
- hold a good memory for details
- possess artistic and creative talent
- have excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills
- can remain calm in hectic circumstances
- are organized
Whip up your dreams
If you’re already a seasoned pro, you can advance your career with our apprenticeship program. Our diploma’s curriculum mirrors first and second level Weekly Apprenticeship Training for cooks. If you choose, you can then continue on to journeyman and finally, Red Seal designation to give you that extra edge in a vital, leading industry. By the way, our grads have a virtually 100 per cent employment rate; why should you be any different?
There is a required practicum component to this program. The College dictates the legal terms and conditions governing the practicum experience.
Students, not already employed, will be required to attend Hospitality Recruitment Day where employers come to the College to interview for summer work placements. Past students in our program have achieved 100 percent employment. Summer work place locations vary from resort areas along the Rocky Mountains to local hotels, restaurants, care facilities and catering companies.
Our 16-week dining room cuisine section starts after the Labour Day long weekend each year and again at the beginning of January each year. Our culinary department has an excellent association with over 50 employers in Alberta and further afield who have regularly offered paid employment to our culinary students.
- Diploma students are eligible to apply and write (for a fee) their government apprenticeship exams after Year 1 and Year 2 respectively. This will lead them to qualify to apply and continue on into their third year apprenticeship with the option to write their Red Seal examination when their apprenticeship has been successfully completed.
- Please be advised that the Culinary Careers program start and end dates, as well as exams, fall outside of the dates found in the Academic Schedule.
|2016-17 Academic Year||Tuition*||Fees||Books & Supplies*|