So you’re getting ready to find your own place? Whether you’re in Residence or off-campus, there are some things to think about before you get here.
In less than a month you will be arriving at Lethbridge College to begin a new year – at Residence Life we’ve been working all summer to be ready to welcome you to our beautiful residences. We’ve done some major renovations at our Cullen residences and we’re excited to show them off!
Moving away from home is an exciting time – whether you’re moving from your family farm in southern Alberta or across the country or another part of the world. Living in residence will provide you with many opportunities to enhance your college experience. We hope you’ll take advantage of the wide variety of activities that we have planned for you this year. You’ll need to keep checking your Lethbridge College email regularly to make sure you don’t miss out on anything!
The Residence Life office in Kodiak House will be open over the long weekend for you to check in and get settled before your classes start. Our office hours and check-in locations will be emailed to each resident in August – another reason to keep checking your Lethbridge College email. You can check your Lethbridge College email by logging on to the My Horizon portal and click the link under “My Email”. If you need help with your login, please contact the Help Desk.
If you have chosen to live off campus, or you haven’t decided where you’ll be laying your head this fall, you can check out our off-campus housing link at: www.lethbridgecollege.ca/offcampushousing. Another excellent resource for finding housing is www.kijiji.com/lethbridge.
At the residence office, we’ve learned a few things over the years, and would like to pass on some tips to help you adapt to your new living arrangements, whether it’s on or off-campus, with old friends or new room-mates:
- Become familiar with all of the terms and conditions of your housing contract
- Make a cleaning plan or schedule and mean it!!
- Decide what your policy will be on guests – invited or not
- Let your room-mates know if you are going to be away – they will worry about you if they don’t know where you are
- Stand up for yourself – if your room-mate is doing something he/she shouldn’t be, say something! If you don’t say anything, they will assume that you’re okay with their actions
- Have a “family” meal together at least once a week – it’s important to keep communication with each other open
Wherever you live while you attend Lethbridge College, we hope you have a great year. Welcome Home to Lethbridge College!