The countdown for September 2012 is on! We know that you’re getting ready to experience a lot of firsts right now: saying goodbye to life-long friends; moving away from home; finding a new place to call home; navigating a new city; preparing to meet new people; and of course, start learning in your college classes. We were there once too!We’re getting just as excited as you! We love the energy that students bring to campus each September. Let’s get you ready to navigate this new year. Watch our blog, Facebook, and Twitter (#cdLC2012) pages for tips to make this time a little bit easier.
If you are a NEW student, you’re probably wondering what’s next. There are a few things that you will want to take care of before you sit down in your first class:
- Register for New Student Orientation.
- My Horizon is the central hub of almost everything you need to know as a student: you can find your class schedule and even pay your fees. Just click the “Student Information” tab to start exploring.
- Secure funding for your education. Next week our Financial Aid desk will give you some tips, but until then- check out their website.
- Make an appointment with an Academic Advisor if you need help with the post-secondary process- this includes if you’re planning to transfer to another institution or if you’re taking College and University Preparation with us.
- How are you getting here? You can purchase a parking permit at Physical Facilities (CE2301). Transit passes can be purchased at the Students’ Association Office.
- Purchase your textbooks and supplies. A list of required textbooks will be made available the first week of August inside My Horizon (click “Campus Services” to find the Bookstore page).
- Get your Student ID card by visiting the Buchanan Library in CE1340. This will get you lots of student discounts around town!
For NEW and RETURNING students, there are a couple of other things you’ll want to stay on top of.
- One important update: tuition for the Fall term needs to be paid by September 12th or you will be removed from your classes.
- Classes start on September 5th. If you need to make changes to your schedule, the last day to add or drop a class is September 12th. Other important dates can be found here.
- For more information on the Health and Dental plan visit mystudentplan.ca.
We hope that you are gearing up for this exciting time. If you need to brush up on some of your “student” skills, visit the Learning Café. They offer lots of free sessions throughout the year on test taking, study skills, and more. If you want to kick start your academic career you can also check out these evening Academic Boot Camps.