First Nations, Metis and Inuit (FNMI) Student
Catch your dreams at Lethbridge College.
Lethbridge College recognizes that it is situated in traditional Blackfoot territory and as such has an Aboriginal Framework policy that reads:
“The Blackfoot people welcome Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal peoples to share in their rich heritage and culture. Lethbridge College is dedicated to providing high-quality education and support services with close links to the community through partnerships and being a fully engaged member of the local community."
Lethbridge College’s mandate is to support and help FNMI and non-FNMI learners in achieving their career and personal goals.
Whether you're a recent high school graduate or a mature student looking to re-enter college to upgrade your skills, Lethbridge College offers quality academic advising, career advising and employment preparation services.
Beyond the warm welcome, our FNMI learners enjoy:
- Personal, cultural, academic and career advising from experienced and dedicated FNMI professionals
- One-on-one and group career advisiing sessions
- FNMI academic advising
- Information on programs, admission, registration and study skills
- Assistance with FNMI funding, scholarships and bursaries
- Student-initiated social, educational, cultural and sporting events
- FNMI Services and Student lounge
- Access to Elders and spiritual advisors
Your career begins with Lethbridge College. We offer:
- FNMI Career Pathways Program: a 24 credit, one year program for FNMI students
- FNMI Student Awards Manual: awards, scholarships and bursary information
- Upgrading, certificates, diplomas, applied degrees and university transfers
- Small class sizes offering personalized instruction
- An on-campus day care
- Learning skills workshops in the Learning Café
- Accessible computer labs across campus, including work stations in the FNMI Services & Student Lounge
- Accessibility Services: support for learners with disabilities
- Kodiak athletic programs including basketball, volleyball, soccer, cross-country running, and golf
- Career Centre: an on-campus student employment centre
- Culinary Services: a cafeteria and food services
- Furnished on-campus Residence and assistance with off-campus housing
FNMI Student Advisor
The FNMI Student Advisor provides support and assistance to FNMI learners, works closely with college faculty and staff, and facilitates open and respectful communication between FNMI learners and college departments and divisions so that FNMI learners’ needs are best served.
For further information contact:
FNMI Student Advisor at 1.800.572.0103 or 403.320.3202,
Ext. 5731 • email@example.com
Aboriginal Academic Advisor and Liaison
An Aboriginal Academic Advisor and Liaison provides academic advice geared towards FNMI learners. One-on-one academic advising appointments, tours and school visits are available to interested prospective and current students. Our Advisor will visit your high school, community event, and employment settings to help support and encourage First Nations, Métis and Inuit students to be successful in post-secondary education.
For further information contact:
Aboriginal Academic Advisor and Liaison at 1.800.572.0103 or 403.320.3323 • firstname.lastname@example.org
FNMI Personal Counselling
Personal counselling is available to all current Lethbridge College students, and we are pleased to offer designated counsellors specifically for FNMI students. This free, professional service offers individualized and confidential assistance, and exists to support and improve the overall well-being of students. Our FNMI Personal Counsellor can assist you with a variety of different presenting issues and concerns. To make an appointment, call 403.320.3351 or drop by CE1343.
FNMI Cultural Support Program
The FNMI Cultural Support program provides students with access to community Elders and spiritual advisors, leaders and role models. Elders and spiritual advisors make regularly scheduled visits to the campus and are also available to meet individually with students. Through this program, students have an opportunity to interact with Elders and benefit from their support, traditional knowledge and guidance.
FNMI Student Advisory Council
Mission Statement: To raise positive awareness about beliefs and culture while creating a circle of support for FNMI Students through inclusion, empowerment and interdependence.
- Fosters better relations between FNMI and non-FNMI peoples
- Reduces racism and discrimination
- Provides peer support
- Plans FNMI activities on campus for all to enjoy
FNMI Services & Student Lounge (AN1501)
The FNMI Services & Student Lounge is a gathering place for both FNMI and non-FNMI students and is the home of the FNMI Students Club and the FNMI Cultural Support Program. All are welcome in the lounge to meet old and new friends, utilize the computers, study and participate in various student activities throughout the year.
Intercultural Services Coordinator
Phone: 403.320.3202 ext. 3242
Travis Plaited Hair,
FNMI Student Advisor
Phone: 403.320.3202 ext. 5731
FNMI Academic Advisor
Our logo captures the essence of Lethbridge College’s FNMI education programs and support services. Representing a Blackfoot tipi cover, the logo signifies the college’s dedication to providing an inclusive learning environment for all FNMI and non-FNMI people.